Monday 31 January 2011

Striping Love

I have been known, in the past, to be somewhat slow on the uptake. I'm definitely not what marketers would call an early adopter, the person who has to have the latest gadget and gizmo. Foolishly, i like to feel as though i can rise above trends, be my own person and know my own mind. In other words, i don't want to be that person who is easily swayed by hype.



In the end i always realise that i am wrong. That the iPhone is popular because it truly is awesome. That Gladiator was on so long at the cinema and had so many people talking about it because it really is epic. And i realised that i was also so very wrong about two other things. Self-striping yarn and DPNs.



I gave DPNs (double pointed needles) my first go at the Harrogate Knitting and Stitching show where i bought a set of six Knitpro wooden DPNs on a whim. I seriously don't think that i can now knit socks any other way. It seems so much quicker, no fiddling about with cables and trying to gently ease my tight stitches over the knuckles of circulars anymore. It seems so much smoother and faster. An uninterupted circle of knitting bliss.




And the other thing: Self-striping yarn. You may have seen Alison's socks in my previous post, knitted with some gorgeous Regia World College Colour 6-ply. Well, i seem to be starting an unhealthy obsession for self-striping socks and have now splashed out on some Regia Kaffe Fassett and Zauerball Crazy. I'm out of control, I can't help myself.

My pledge to knit what's in my stash has gone all wrong. I might as well admit it.

So next time i read about the latest knitting trend on a blog or newsletter, I'll learn not to ignore it. To think all this time I've shunned DPNs and stripey yarn in favour of magic loop and plain patterned socks and there was such fun to be had.

2 comments:

  1. The colors are incredible. And welcome to the club. I'm so addicted to sock yarn, I think there's no hope for recovery... Ever!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang on, you forgot to mention that the self-striping yarn is actually magic! My mother swears by it. We find it remarkable every time she makes a noo sock...!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!